In an effort to stay away from the 3 bad ‘whites’; flour, sugar, rice, I have decided to make our fried rice tonight with brown rice. Now ideally, I would make the rice ahead of time and chill it. Maybe some day I will plan that far ahead. For now, not so much.
But I made this rice and it came out, again, wonderful. I got the idea from Skinnytaste.com. How I found it I have no idea. One link leads to another leads to another and before you know it, you are in a Rip Van Winkle time vortex and 10 years have gone by.
This is how I made about 4 cups of brown rice ready for any meal.
Easy Brown Rice
- Yield: about 4 cups
Here is an easy and sure fire way to make brown rice for fried rice or any meal.
- 2 cups brown rice I use organic short grain
- 8 cups water more or less. I just put in lots of water, like making noodles.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Rinse the rice. Put the rice and water in a pot with the salt. Bring to a boil. Don’t put a lid full on it or it will boil over.
- Simmer for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off, drain the rice for 10 seconds, then put the rice and whatever moisture was left over back in the pot, put a lid on it and let it steam for another 20 minutes. Taste for doneness. Thats it!
- (another recipe has you simmer for 30 minutes, drain, the steam for 10. The results are the same, oddly enough.)